Thursday, March 7, 2013

At the Chemo Lounge


Wednesday, Feb. 24th, 2010

I’m sitting in the Boom-Boom Room at the Chemo Lounge. It’s quiet now, but it was noisy when we came in.

The patients are resting, lounge chairs pushed back, feet in the air, some under blankets. Their partners (accompanists?) are reading, munching on snacks.

The medicine poles remind me of a ragged row of telephone poles down a country road.

In contrast to some of the patients, I’m feeling pretty good. I had my last treatment on Dec. 30th, and I’m here only for a small bag of Zometa for my bones – fifteen minutes and I’m gone. They don’t look as happy as I feel. They have that look of resignation. They look tired – tired in body and mind. I’ve been there.

Tired of having to come every so many weeks for so many hours – knowing that the next week will be painful, debilitating, mind numbing. But, as my wife kept reminding me: “It beats the alternative.”

It’s been seven weeks since my last treatment, and my strength is slowly coming back. My brain is starting to function better. But, I’ve got to lower my brain drive – lower it from my brain to my hands and feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment